Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Cousin's 13th Birthday

My cousin had been asking me to make tiramisu since the day he arrived, but I just never felt like he deserved it. lol. Anyways... since it was his birthday yesterday, that enough reason for me to finally make him a tiramisu.

The tiramisu I made was a shortcutted version, something I sort of whipped up to cut costs. The ingredients included: box mix pound cake, butter, milk, eggs, mascarpone cream, heavy cream, powdered sugar, vanilla extract, espresso powder, and cocoa powder. The only ingredients I had to actually buy were the mascarpone cream and heavy cream. Real tiramisu uses lady fingers, but I with pound cake instead. Pound cake mix was something I just had on hand, and I figured it was dense enough to hold the liquid you usually used to coat the lady fingers without becoming soggy. Another cut was the use of eggs in the cream. I've never used raw egg to make a frosting, so I didn't really want to attempt it for this recipe. Also, notice the absence of alcohol. Usually tiramisu contains marsala wine, rum, coffee liquor, or some other dessert-y alcohol, but considering I was making it for my cousin, and I don't like the taste of alcohol, I omitted it.


I was in a rush, so no process pictures, but I'll try to explain it. I had a plastic octagon container that was leftover from some apple turnovers from Safeway which I thought would be perfect for the assembly. I assembled it as if I were making a trifle. I first placed a layer of pound cake, then poured a bit of coffee onto the cakes, then spread the cream on top, and repeated this process seven times. I let it chill in the fridge for about six hours. Before serving, I take it out of the container, and use the remainder of the cream to frost the top and sides. A dusting cocoa powder (from London, courtesy of Cat) finishes the tiramisu.



Did I mention that it was seven layers of cake?


It was really good. This was a nice and simple way to make tiramisu.




I also drew my cousin a picture from one of his favorite animes. 



No comments:

Post a Comment