Sunday, March 31, 2013

iLeaf

Like most, I use my iPod during my commute to work, while I'm at work, and especially when I exercise. But I've always had a problem with the earphone cord being annoyingly long. Is someone really that tall?? Anyways, I wanted to make something to keep the cord out of the way while I'm using my iPod. When I was using my iPod shuffle I would just wrap the cord around the shuffle itself and it wouldn't get in the way of the buttons. 


Since I've upgraded to the iPod nano, wrapping the cord around the iPod itself blocks access to the touchscreen.


Solution: Make a cutesy wraparound cord holder thingy (I didn't know what to call it). I saw it being sold on a site somewhere, and thought it was genius and completely makeable.

Originally I was going to make a heart, but I couldn't find my red felt :( I'll shelve the heart idea for now. Instead I found green felt, and decided to go with a leaf design. 


I traced the leaf pattern onto some green felt.


And cut the leaf shape out.


Then I inaccurately embroidered the pinnate style veins on one side with some black thread.


Tah-dah.


I decided on a button closure. My other option was Velcro, but I didn't think it'd suite something so small and flimsy.



It's been working pretty well so far. I'll probably reinforce the leaf with another layer of felt so it's less flimsy and maybe add a clip to the back to keep it from moving around.


Wouldn't it be cool if my leaf were capable of photosynthesis and charged my iPod?
Just a thought.

No comments:

Post a Comment